Wylie ISD Welcomes Two New Trustees
The Wylie ISD is proud to welcome two new trustees to the seven-member school board. Jacob Day will serve in Place 6 and Stacie Smith will serve in Place 1. In addition, current members Mitch Herzog and Heather Leggett were reelected. They will all serve four-year terms.
“We welcome Jacob and Stacie to our Board and know that they are ready and willing to work for what’s best for all children in Wylie ISD,” said Mitch Herzog, Board President. “Thank you to Nick Klein and Raymond Perry for running as well. We are blessed to live in a community where people want to serve our schools.”
The new members will be sworn in during the regular November school board meeting, Monday, November 12.
Jacob Day, PhD
Dr. Jacob Day taught engineering and robotics courses at Wylie East High School for five years. During that time he also served as Associate Faculty for Collin College, teaching dual credit in the high school as well as night classes at the college.
While teaching, he earned the following awards and was involved in several groups and organizations:
- Crystal Apple Award - January 2016
- Collin College Vision Award - 2017
- Crystal Apple Award - January 2018
- Wylie East HS Robotics Coach 2013-2018
- Collin College Engineering Advisory Board 2013-2018
- UTD SEEC STEM camp instructor 2013-2015
- Wylie East HS CTE Department Head 2015-2018
- UTD SEEC Curriculum Consultant 2016-2017
He recently returned to Texas Instruments to work as an engineer, but has remained active in the Wylie community and school district. He and his wife have four children, including three in Wylie ISD.
For the past nine years, Stacie Smith has been advocating for Wylie ISD students, staff, families, and community on a wide variety of issues - including school finance reform, anti-bullying programs, character-building education, cultural diversity appreciation, and many others. Stacie has served in a variety of positions related to education:
- Wylie ISD Council of PTAs: President, Secretary, Environmental Chair, and Legislative Chair
- Local PTAs: President, 1st Vice President, Secretary, Environmental Chair, Room Rep Coordinator
- Wylie ISD Education Foundation: Ex-Officio Board Member
- Wylie ISD Mentor: Mentoring 2 students each week for 3 years
- Committee Member: Wylie Way Christmas, Wylie Way Awards, Education Foundation Gala
- Parent Advisory Groups: District and Campus levels
- National District of Character: Panelist
- Creating Leaders and Advocates for Students: Graduate
- Texas PTA Emerging Leader Academy: Member
Stacie has held numerous volunteer positions in church, working with children and with youth. She currently serves as a board member for Kenzie’s House. She and her husband have four children in Wylie ISD.