Wylie ISD Names 2021 Teachers of the Year, Employees of the Year
The Wylie ISD recognized outstanding employees from all areas of the district at the annual Wylie Way Awards Gala Friday night at Southfork Ranch. More than 300 guests representing all 20 campuses and every department celebrated all that makes Wylie ISD special. Wylie Way Award winners from last year joined this year’s recipients as the Guests of Honor. PBK Architects was the title sponsor of this year’s event.
Retiring employees were also recognized at the event. Thirty-three staff members, totaling more than 600 years of experience, each received a crystal bowl and a Wylie ISD Gold Card.
2021 Teachers of the Year
- Priscilla Patterson: Elementary Teacher of the Year
- Michael Brinkley: Secondary Teacher of the Year
Mrs. Patterson teaches English Language Arts at Draper Intermediate School and Mr. Brinkley teaches English Language Arts at McMillan Junior High School.
Both Teachers of the Year received a special jacket, TOY name badge, and a backpack filled with items donated by local businesses and sponsors. And, thanks to Toyota of Rockwall, the two winners will each drive a new car, all expenses paid, for six months. Each car has a unique wrap celebrating education and the Wylie ISD.
Earlier this year, a finalist from each campus was selected by their peers for their professionalism, dedication to students, excellence in teaching, ability to motivate plus innovation, and creativity. They are the Teachers of the Year for their respective campuses.
A committee of community members then interviewed and read essays written by these campus winners. The committee selected the elementary and secondary teacher of the year for the district. Wylie ISD winners advance to the Region 10 competition, and hopefully to the state level.
2021 Paraprofessionals of the Year
- Wanda Fields: Watkins Elementary
- Debbie Bollock: Achieve Academy
The Paraprofessionals of the Year also received a plaque, a backpack filled with goodies and six months of complimentary house cleaning, courtesy of the event sponsors.
Department Employees of the Year
- Brandon Rhodes: Maintenance Employee of the Year
- Jose Ontiveros: Trades Employee of the Year
- Juan Gamez: Grounds Employee of the Year
- Maria Mondragon: Custodian of the Year
- Jennifer Mace: Student Nutrition Employee of the Year
- Nick Hill: Transportation Employee of the Year
- John Barlow: Driver of the Year
- Carol Jackson: Bus Aide of the Year
- Amy Hillin, RN, ESC: Nurse of the Year
Please join us as we congratulate these outstanding employees!!