Smith Elementary Arrival and Dismissal Procedures for 2018-2019
Your child’s safety is our first priority at Smith Elementary. In order to provide the safest arrival and dismissal, we ask you to follow the procedures listed below:
All children will need to be dropped off at the front of the building where our teachers/safety patrol will assist in opening car doors and guiding your child into the building. For your child’s safety, no children will be allowed to be dropped off on the side of the building or at the back of the building by the cafeteria or gym. If you would like to walk your child in, please park on the East side of the building and accompany your child into the building.
- A walker is defined as a student walking to a house, NOT being picked up in a car or in the parking lot at Gateway If you do not want your child walking all the way home, please consider your child to be a car rider and follow the guidelines below for car riders.
- A walk-up student is defined as a student who will be picked up by a parent on foot. Walk-ups will be dismissed from the East gym door. A staff member will meet you at the door, verify your child’s pick up card, and release your student to you. If you do not have your pick up card with you, we ask that you go to the front office with your identification and your child will be released to you in the front office.
- We will use this same dismissal on Rainy Days or Extreme Temperature. If you prefer your child to not be exposed to the rain, please consider your child to be a car rider.
- A car rider is defined as a child waiting to be picked up through the car pool line.
- All students waiting in the car rider area must be picked up through the car pool line.
- Please display your child’s pick up card in the passenger side window of the person authorized to pick your child up from school.
- Your child will be placed in your car by a staff member.
- If you do not have your pick up card with you, we ask that you go to the front office with your identification and your child will be released to you in the front office.
- All day care will be released through the gymnasium.
- All bus riders will dismiss through the cafeteria.
Parent Dismissal Changes
- If you are requesting to change the way in which your child is picked up in the afternoon we ask that you do one of the following:
- Send a note to the teacher in the morning explaining how student will be getting home and the first and last name of the person that will be picking up student.
- Call the office to notify teacher of your request to change the dismissal of your child for that same day before 2:00. We ask that you please do not make any changes to the way your child will be picked up after 2:00 due to the fact that this is one of our busiest times of the day and teachers may not have an opportunity to read emails prior to dismissal each day. Your assistance with this will help us ensure your child arrives home appropriately and safely.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with these procedures. Just a reminder, the first few days always brings longer lines and more traffic congestion. Your patience is greatly appreciated. We are truly looking out for your child’s best interest and overall safety.