Dress Code Overview
Students shall be dressed and groomed in a manner that is clean and neat and that shall not be disruptive or a safety hazard to themselves or others. The District prohibits any clothing or grooming that in the principal's judgment may reasonably be expected to cause disruption of or interference with normal school operations. Grooming includes, but is not limited to, length of hair, color of hair, and appropriate hairstyles. Facial hair must also be well maintained and not disrupt or interfere with normal school operations.
The student and parent may determine the student's personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the general guidelines set out in the Board policies and with the student alternative dress and standard dress codes as outlined in the student handbooks and explained in the links on the left.
PK-4 dress code:
- The length of any shorts, skirts, or dresses may be no shorter than 4 inches as measured from the top of the knee.
- Clothing such as shirts, blouses, and dresses may be sleeveless but must fit under the arms. Spaghetti straps are not acceptable.
5-12 dress code:
- All solid color pants and shorts are acceptable (Dockers or cargo style).
- Jeans/denim-type pants are acceptable. No rips, tears, or holes. Distressing is allowed as long as skin does not show.
- Belts are not required.
- Shorts/skirts may be worn no shorter than 4 inches as measured from the top of the knee and must be worn at the natural waist.
- Any collared shirt – polo, oxford-style, flannel, dress shirt – will be allowed. All writing, pictures, or emblems are acceptable as long as they do not depict violence or are lewd, offensive, vulgar, or obscene in nature. Clothing must not advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or other prohibited substance.
- There is no longer a size restriction for brand logos on shirts.
- Sweatshirts/sweaters/sweater vests/light jackets, including denim jackets, may be worn over any appropriate shirt. If the sweatshirt/sweater/sweater vest/light jacket is removed during the school day, the student must still be in dress code.
- All writing, pictures, or emblems on sweatshirts and hoodies are acceptable as long as they do not depict violence or are lewd, offensive, vulgar, or obscene in nature. Clothing must not advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or any other prohibited substance.