Student Health Exclusion From School
Some illnesses or conditions require that a student be excluded from school until symptom free. Students with any of the following symptoms must be excluded from school:
- Temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or above. Temperature must be below 100 degrees for 24 hours without fever reducing medicines for readmission to school.
- Undetermined rash over any part of the body.
- Pain and/or swelling at angle of jaw.
- Scaly patches on scalp, which might indicate ringworm.
- Small white nits/lice on shaft of hair or scalp.
- Nausea and vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Red, draining eyes with pus formation and crust.
- Intense itching with signs and symptoms of secondary infection.
- Open draining lesions.
- Signs of jaundice.
- Delinquent immunization status.
A student's parent or guardian will be notified that the student is to be excluded for health reasons. It shall be the responsibility of the parent or guardian to transport the student from school to his home. A student shall be readmitted to school when he/she meets the standards set forth by the Texas State Health Department for contagious disease control or presents a physician's statement that he is not contagious.
*Medications must be in a prescribed container, properly labeled with student's name, dosage and time medication is to be given.
*Non-prescription drugs must be sent to school in the original container with student's name written on the bottle by the parent/guardian. These medicines also require an accompanying parental note.
*Non-prescription drugs will not be given before 10AM or after 2PM. Non-prescription medicines can only be given for 5 days without a Doctor's note.
*ALL Medications MUST be kept in the clinic. The exception to this is asthmatic inhalers that have a physician's note. Please notify nurse of inhaler.
*It is the student's responsibility to inform school personnel when it is time for his/her medication.
*Wylie ISD cannot accept responsibility if a student develops a sudden drug reaction.
*If the school nurse is not available, a Wylie ISD employee as outlined in their guidelines may administer medications.
*All medications and special procedures require an annual physician statement of necessity.
District Health Page