A short history of Harrison Intermediate
Our school was built in 1967 as Wylie High School. In 1969 additions were made and it became Wylie Jr./Sr. High. As Wylie grew, a new high school (now Burnett Jr. High) was built and we became Wylie Middle School, housing 6th -8th grades.
In 1996 new growth meant another new high school (Wylie High) and the 7th and 8th graders moved into their own building. We were now Wylie Intermediate, serving all the 5th and 6th graders in Wylie.
By the 2001-2002 school year we housed 826 students and the building was bursting at the seams. In the fall of 2003 a new campus opened and we all got new names. Our school became Ab Harrison Intermediate.
Currently, Harrison has four feeder elementary schools - Hartman, Akin, Cox, and Watkins. We have just over 900 students almost evenly divided between 5th and 6th grade.
Albert Edward Harrison was born on December 31, 1919 in Sachse, Tx. Mr. Harrison was the great grandson of William Sachse from whom Sachse, Tx gets its name. He was a World War II veteran, serving in the United States Army as a staff sergeant in the South Pacific from 1942-1945 and earning many honors and awards. After the war, he served for 40 years as a United States Postal Rural Letter Carrier. From 1947 to 1970 he was the only postman in Wylie. In 1987 Mr. Harrison retired from the USPS. He also served two terms on the WISD School Board and was on the board when Harrison Intermediate was built in 1967. For many years Mr. Harrison assisted RC Dodd with the high school sports teams, never missing a game.