COVID Relief Funding
Wylie ISD received the allotted funds from the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief III (ESSER III) under the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021. The purpose of this funding is to assist districts with the impact that the COVID-19 pandemic had on schools, and continues to have, including safe operations and addressing student learning needs.
- February 28, 2022 | Public Information for ESSER III and Closing the Gaps
- June 21, 2021 | Public Information for ESSER III Funding
- May 20, 2021 | DWEIC Meeting: ESSER Planning
- May 5, 2021 | District Leaders ESSER Planning
Meaningful Stakeholder Consultation
We welcome ongoing feedback regarding our ESSER plans. The input of parents, community members, special interest groups, and our district staff are essential to our success and ongoing evaluation of the activities. If you'd like to give your feedback, please complete the form below:
ESSER III Stakeholder Feedback Form
Semi-Annual Feedback Review No. 3 | September 2022
In August/September 2022, parents and community members were encouraged to provide feedback on the current plans in place. Recurring comments include:
- continuation of the use of interventionists,
- continuation of free lunch, and
- safety enhancements to the school buildings.
District data continues to support the use of our interventionists. The program has shown to provide significant progress in closing the academic gaps created by the pandemic.
The use of ESSER funds has specific intent--to assist districts with the impact that the COVID-19 pandemic had on schools, and continues to have, including safe operations and addressing student learning needs. All activities funded by ESSER must align with this intent.
Stakeholder feedback is ongoing, but the next formal analysis of suggestions will occur in February 2023.
Semi-Annual Consultation No. 2 | February 2022
In January/February 2022, a survey was sent out to our families and staff members, as well as posted on social media for community participation. The survey included a short video regarding ESSER III funding and a call for survey participation. 603 responses were collected, representing many stakeholder groups, including students, parents, teachers, administrators, advocates, civil rights activists, staff, and community members. Results found that:
- 58% identified academic learning needs as a high priority,
- 49% identified social, emotional, and mental health needs as a high priority,
- 34% identified safety facility enhancements as a high priority, and
- 40% identified technology connectivity as a high priority.
Open-ended responses provided other topics to review, including staffing, pay, and nutrition for students. During the February 2022 Board Meeting, some of these were discussed in the presentation, including the inability to fund many new positions and increase pay due to the nonrenewable nature of the funds. Several survey participants requested the continuation of the free lunch program. The 21-22 free lunch program was directly funded by the USDA; we have not yet heard if they will continue the program into the 22-23 school year.
The next semi-annual consultation will occur during summer 2022.
Initial Consultation | June 2021
Wylie ISD requested feedback from our families and community members in June 2021. We received 2,130 responses from various stakeholder groups including students, parents, teachers, administrators, advocates, civil rights activists, staff, and community members.
- 87% identified academic learning needs as a high priority,
- 72% identified social, emotional, and mental health needs as a high priority,
- 42% identified safety facility enhancements as a high priority, and
- 49% identified technology connectivity as a high priority.
We will engage in our next semi-annual meaningful stakeholder feedback in November and December 2021 and January 2022, through the following activities:
- discussion and evaluation of plan with district leaders,
- discussion with the Districtwide Educational Improvement Council (DWEIC),
- presentation during a public meeting, and
- soliciting feedback through survey(s).
Wylie ISD's Use of Funds Plan can be accessed here: English | Spanish. This plan is updated periodically to reflect the feedback from continuous evaluation and meaningful consultation with various stakeholder groups.
Wylie ISD's Return to School and Instructional Continuity Plan can be accessed here: English | Spanish. This plan is reviewed at least every six months for accuracy and to determine if further protocols and procedures need to be put in place to ensure our students are safe and engaged in high-quality instruction.