- To create a healthy school environment and minimize disruption of learning.
- To maintain the health and protect the safety of students who have life-threatening allergies during the school day. (FFAF LEGAL/LOCAL)
Overview and Rationale:
Allergens, including food and latex, can trigger a severe systemic allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening emergency. Avoidance is the best measure to protect the safety of children with food or other severe allergies at risk for anaphylaxis.
- Food or non-food items (stickers, pencils etc.) for birthday celebration will only be shared with the student’s classmates.
- All birthday celebration edible treats will be individually packaged. Food items will include a complete ingredients list attached to each package. No homemade items will be allowed.
- Any food items without a complete ingredients list and those not individually wrapped/packaged will not be distributed.
- Food items that contain an allergen for any student in the class will not be shared with the class.
- Non-food items containing latex (balloons, toys made with natural rubber, etc.) will not be allowed.
- Items will be checked by the school nurse/teacher, held in the office until the end of the school day, and only distributed to classmates at dismissal.
- Bring birthday celebration items to the school office.
- Individually package all items.
- Include a complete ingredients list on each individually packaged food item.
- Check with campus principal regarding non-food items for birthday celebrations.
Nurse and Classroom Teacher Responsibilities
- Will assure all edible birthday celebration items are individually packaged.
- Will assure each food item has been labeled with a complete ingredients list.
- Will check classroom allergy list to avoid allergen exposure.
- Will assure non-food items do not contain latex (natural rubber) when there is a known latex allergy.
- Teacher will send birthday celebration items home at dismissal.
Policy/Procedure FFAF (LEGAL/LOCAL) CO (Legal)