GIFTED AND TALENTED PROGRAM INFORMATION
Wylie ISD recognizes the gifted and talented as those whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so outstanding that they require a variety of special provisions to meet their educational needs.
The goals of the Wylie ISD Gifted and talented Program are to provide opportunities to:
- Enhance student understanding of self and others
- Develop student skills in creative thinking, critical thinking, and logical reasoning
- Strengthen student ability to apply depth and complexity to core subject areas of study
- Develop self-directed and life-long learning skills
- Extend student skills in research and independent study
- Broaden student skills in written, visual, and oral communication
- Experience in-depth and accelerated/compacted knowledge and understanding of curriculum content
- The mission of the Gifted and Talented Program is to provide a challenging learning environment that nurtures the unique potential of gifted students so that as citizens of a global society in the twenty-first century they can contribute ethically and productively in ways commensurate with their abilities.
- The Wylie Independent School District recognizes the gifted and talented as those students whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so outstanding that they require a variety of special provisions to meet their educational needs. As students, they are found in all races, socioeconomic groups, geographic locales, and environments; as adults they are the leaders in government, medicine, invention, the creative arts, the communicative arts, philosophy, industry, science, and many other fields. In a democratic society which seeks to offer educational opportunities appropriate to each student's ability, it is incumbent to provide for the unique needs of the gifted and talented.
- Wylie Independent School District recognizes the state definition established by the Texas Education Agency as follows: "gifted and talented student" means a child or youth who performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment and who:
- exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area;
- possesses an unusual capacity for leadership; or
- excels in a specific academic field.
The philosophy of the Wylie ISD program for gifted and talented students encompasses five core beliefs:
- We believe that gifted students have unique educational needs that demand the nurture and advocacy of a differentiated academic program.
- We believe that it is essential for gifted students to interact with their intellectual peers, as well as all student peers.
- We believe that balanced programming for gifted students provides for both cognitive and affective development.
- We believe that effective gifted programming equips students with the necessary skills to become self-directed, lifelong learners.
- We believe that a program for gifted students must constantly challenge students in order to develop their potential to become exceptional contributors to society.
Gifted/Talented students are expected:
- To become self-directed in the areas of ideas and product development.
- To develop high degrees of task commitment and time management to set goals and work toward them.
- To demonstrate positive attitudes toward self and others with cooperative behaviors.
- To attain work of exceptionally high quality.
- To present public presentations of work.