NEW! Beginning in August 2020, we will offer a full-day program for eligible Spanish-speaking bilingual students. There are only 44 seats available, and they will be given to the first 44 who complete enrollment, prove eligibility, and qualify through language testing. All other prekindergarten programs will continue to operate on a half-day schedule.
When is the 2020-21 registration event?
Due to COVID-19-related school closure, the event previously scheduled on May 5th and 6th at the ESC has been postponed until further notice.
Parents and guardians are strongly encouraged to complete the online enrollment and upload as many of the documents as possible to complete their child's file. Once restrictions have been lifted, we will contact parents to bring any missing documentation. In addition, we will schedule a time for language testing if a child's home language is something other than English.
Who can attend prekindergarten?
Students must be 4-years old by September 1st of the school year AND he or she must meet one of the following criteria:
- does not speak or understand English (limited English proficient)
- is considered educationally disadvantaged based on family income (guidelines can be found here)
- is homeless
- is a dependent of a member of the military on active duty, injured, or killed while on active duty
- is currently or has ever been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care)
- is a dependent of an indiviudal who received the Star of Texas Award
Students must meet the age requirement as well as one of the above criteria to qualify for the program.
Where does prekindergarten take place?
All half-day prekindergarten students are served at Hartman Elementary. It is located at 510 S Birmingham Street, Wylie TX 75098.
Students in the full-day bilingual program for 2020-2021 will be served at another elementary campus, to be determined.
How can I enroll my child?
Parents can fill out the online enrollment at anytime. Registration is ongoing. Then, official documents will need to be provided. All of the following documents are required:
- original birth certificate or certified copy issued by the State
- immunization records
- Social Security card for the child
- proof of residency in Wylie ISD (gas, electric bill or lease)
- parent or guardian's driver'slicense or identification card
In addition to the above requirements, you may also need to provide:
- Income Eligibility: proof of income such as 1040_ form, check stubs, letter from employer, unemployment letter, and/or food stamp letter
- Homeless: Student Residency Questionnaire (English/Spanish)
- Foster: copy of Form 2085
- Military: active duty documentation or documentation of injury or death while on duty
- Star of Texas Award: documentation of award
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are school hours?
All prekindergarten classes are operated as a half-day program, with the exception of two new full-day bilingual classes.
Morning PK hours are 7:10 AM to 10:20 AM. Afternoon PK hours are 11:30 AM to 2:40 PM. Full-day programs will operate on the elementary campus schedule.
- Does Wylie ISD offer tuition-based prekindergarten?
No, at this time, we do not offer tuition-based programs.
- Is transportation provided for my prekindergarten student?
Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to offer transportation to these students.
- What school supplies are needed for my child?
You can find the updated school supplylist on Hartman Elementary's website. Specifically, thelists are found under the Parents tab.
- My child doesn't meet any of the eligibility criteria. Can I be put on list if there are additional openings?
No. The state does not fund prekindergarten for ineligible students.
- Can my child attend prekindergarten part-time?
It is highly recommended that students attend school every day, unless they are ill. This will help your child get the most access to what the program has to offer.
Family Engagement Plan
Parent involvement is crucial to each child's success. Each year, a Prekindergarten Family Engagement Plan is revised and evaluated to ensure we address activities and practices that promote this important relationship.
Should you have any further questions, please contact us at anytime.
- Dr. Jessica Branch
Coordinator for Federal Programs
- Hartman Elementary