Welcome to the social studies curriculum page!Throughout social studies in Kindergarten-Grade 12, students build a foundation in history; geography; economics; government; citizenship; culture; science; technology; society; and social studies skills.
Each grade levels’ skills build upon the previous year for a comprehensive study of self, home, community, state, nation and world. Starting in 4th grade the concentration becomes more specific in content with the study of Texas History. The next year in 5th grade students concentrate on the study of the United States, and 6th grade students concentrate on the study of the contemporary world in which we live.
At the Junior High level the focus goes into greater depth and complexity. In 7th grade students study the history of the state of Texas, followed by the study of early United States History through the Civil War in 8th grade.Multiple courses are available grades 9-12, including a variety of Advanced Placement courses. Details can be viewed in the Course Guides below.
Wylie ISD Curriculum
- Wylie ISD uses TRS curriculum for grades 5-8, World History, US History, Government and Economics: TEKS Resource System
- Psychology, Sociology, and Personal Finance Literacy use a locally-developed curriculum.
- For additional curriculum questions, please contact the learning specialist listed to the right for your child’s grade level.
- Students in grades 7-8 have the opportunity to participate in Pre-AP courses.
- Students have the opportunity to take AP courses, and potentially earn college credits in conjunction with their high school graduation requirements.
- Wylie ISD currently offers AP Psychology, AP Human Geography, AP World History, AP US History, AP Government and AP Macroeconomics. These courses follow a syllabus approved by the College Board: https://www.collegeboard.org/
- Exam Dates:
- AP Psychology – May 3, 2022
- AP Human Geography – May 5, 2022
- AP World History – May 12, 2022
- AP US History – May 6, 2022
- AP Government – May 2, 2022
- AP Macroeconomics – May 5, 2022
Dual Credit Courses
In an effort to provide increased academic opportunities and promote college readiness for our students, dual-credit courses are offered. This program will afford our junior and senior students the opportunity to take a multitude of courses that align directly with high school graduation requirements and basic level associate and bachelor degree plans, while offering them additional support and interventions to assist in the transition into college. Courses offered for Social Studies are: US History, Government and Economics.
Textbooks & Resources
- Username: Wylie ISD-ID#
- Password: Capital Initial of First and Last Name followed by Birthdate
- Ex: Julie Smith August 3, 2000 = JS08032000
- Google Apps Account:
- Username: First 3 letters of last name and first 3 letters of last name followed by last 3 digits of student ID#.
- Ex: Julie Smith ID# 123456 smijul456@apps.Wylieisd.net
- Password: will be the same password your student uses to access all computers in Wylie ISD