Science education in Wylie ISD is full of opportunity for students to learn about the natural world in an innovative, technology-infused manner from teachers who are passionate about their subject. Students in every grade level conduct lab investigations, build connections with mathematics, and learn about the role science has played in history and modern society. The ideas learned in science come to life when students write scientific explanations for important concepts using the claim-evidence-reasoning structure.
Elementary students participate in a district-wide science fair late in the fall semester, so watch the @WylieScience twitter feed for updates. Eighth grade students can take a separate STEM class as an elective, where teamwork and projects bring together the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. High school opens the door to a STEM endorsement on a student’s diploma, career pathways into science fields, and class offerings that include many opportunities to earn college credit in Advanced Placement classes.
Excellence in science has played a big part in Wylie ISD’s recent gains and accolades. Our teachers love their subject and are excited to share it with students as they continue their journey the Wylie Way!
STAAR Test Information
- 5th Grade Science STAAR
- May 14th, 2020
- Tested content includes knowledge and skills from 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade science
- 8th Grade Science STAAR
- May 7th, 2020
- Tested content includes knowledge and skills from 6th, 7th, and 8th grade science
- Biology STAAR End-of Course test
- May 7, 2020
- Tested content includes knowledge and skills from the entire year of biology
Wylie ISD Curriculum
- Wylie ISD uses TRS curriculum for K-8 Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, and Integrated Physics and Chemistry (IPC): TEKS Resource System
- A locally-developed curriculum exists for 8th Grade STEM, Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Earth and Space Science, and Forensic Science. Questions about these courses can be directed to the learning specialist for your student’s specific grade listed on the top of this page.
- High Schools in Wylie ISD offer several Advanced Placement science courses. These include AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Physics C, and AP Environmental Science. AP courses follow a syllabus approved by the College Board: https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse
Textbooks & Resources
- Science Fusion (K-5 Science)
- student username is their ID#
- student password is their birthdate (MMDDYYYY)
- Connect Ed (6-8 science, IPC)
- student username is WISD-######, where the # are the 6-digit student ID number.
- student password is first and last initial, followed by their birth date (MMDDYYYY). For example, John Smith with a birthday of April 8th, 2002 would have the password JS04082002
- STEMScopes (3-8 science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- student username is their ID #
- student password is science
Please check back here when summer approaches for the most up-to-date details about what your child can do over the summer to stay sharp in science.