TRANSFERS, FURLOUGHS, EXIT PROCEDURES, RE-ENTRY PROCESS
A student may exit and re-enter the Gifted and Talented program only through the methods described in the following sections:Furloughs
Students will be granted a leave of absence (furlough), as requested, from the Gifted and Talented Program services for specified reasons. The specified reasons may include:
- Student scheduling concerns based on school offerings
- Family/personal reasons
- Furlough may be requested by parent, student, teacher, or counselor.
- Furlough will be reviewed by District Selection Committee and recommendations made.
- State policy prohibits furloughs for longer than one consecutive year.
- If a student has been exited by the school through the exit procedure as outlined above, he/she may re-enter through the nomination process and requalify, no earlier than the beginning of the next school year and only after he/she has been out of the program for at least one complete semester. In some cases, this will mean that a student will reenter the program at the beginning of the second semester of the following year.
- If a student decides to exit himself/herself from the Gifted and Talented Program, he may reenter the program through nomination, no earlier than the beginning of the next school year by requalifying in the Identification Process.
- If a student has a schedule conflict that forces a choice to be made between the Gifted and Talented Program and another subject, the student will be placed on furlough and may continue in the Gifted and Talented Program as soon as his/her schedule will allow.