Wylie ISD Transportation is committed to providing safe, reliable, professional and efficient transportation service for our students.
Our bus drivers are highly-trained professionals who are tasked with safely operating buses, performing pre-and post-trip inspections, student behavior management and keeping buses clean.
In order to be considered for employment, individuals must but are not limited to:
- be at least 24 years of age;
- pass an annual physical examination;
- obtain and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with all appropriate endorsements and classifications and all other required licenses, permits and certificates;
- have and maintain a satisfactory driving and criminal background as determined by the Texas Department of Public Safety that reflects a professional driver and which meets all contractual, local, state and federal requirements;
- show negative on a pre-employment drug and alcohol test as well as be subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing; and
- have completed or be enrolled in the School Bus Driver Certification Course developed by the Texas Education Agency and the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Student Rider Eligibility
Wylie ISD board policy deems that in order for a student to receive transportation services, he or she must be eligible based on specific criteria determined by the school board. The board’s policy is in accordance with state and federal regulations for student transportation to ensure that students are served in a fair and equitable manner.
A student is deemed eligible for transportation if he or she meets at least one of the following criteria:
He or she…
- Resides 2 or more miles from his/her home campus
- Resides less than 2 miles from his/her home campus, but in an area that has been deemed hazardous by the school board.
- Has been approved to receive special transportation by an IEP/ARD committee or identified as being homeless by the district liaison under the McKinney-Vento Act
- Is enrolled in another district-specific program for which transportation is required due to specific program needs
A student is not eligible for transportation if he or she falls into one of the categories below:
He or she…
- Is a transfer student
- Is a student that lives within 2 miles of his/her home campus
- Is a Pre-Kindergarten student
Bus Laws: When Should I Stop for a Bus?
Wylie ISD Transportation Center
670 Country Club Road
Wylie, TX 75098