Wylie East High School Attendance Policies
Phone: (972) 429-3000 x7957|Fax: (972) 941-9989
Phone: (972) 429-3000 x7956|Fax: (972) 941-9988
The Texas Compulsory School Attendance Law requires that a student between the ages of 6 and 18 attend must attend school each day for the entire period that a school’s program of instruction is provided. School employees must investigate, report, and if necessary, prosecute violations of the state compulsory attendance law.
According to the Texas Education Code 21.041, students must be in attendance 90% of the instructional days each semester to receive credit for any class. A student who attends fewer than 90% of the days the class is offered cannot receive credit for the class unless the attendance committee finds that the absences are the result of extenuating circumstances or allow the student to make up the time to restore credit.
Exemptions to Compulsory Attendance: (excusable absences with proper documentation)
- Religious holy days
- Required court appearances
- Students in the conservatorship (custody) of the state
Types of excuse notes accepted include:
*Note: the school reserves the right to refuse any documentation that is deemed unacceptable*
- Doctor’s note - faxed or submitted to the attendance office.
- Documentation from a court of law or other government entity that student was required to be present for - faxed or submitted to the attendance office.
- A handwritten note with a parent signature.
- Skyward Family Access - parent note(s) only.
Adding Attendance Note(s) In Skyward:
- Click on attendance tab from the main menu
- Click Absent request button
- Enter the date(s)
- Select yes/no all-day absence (if only partial day specify the time of absence)
- Leave reason for absence in the comment section
All notes must include:
- Signature of a parent/guardian
- Reason for the absence
- Date(s) of absence
- The phone number for verification
- Student’s school ID number
- Name and contact information of doctor or court (for doctor and court visits)
**If a student leaves early for any reason, they must still bring a note to get the absence excused. This includes if the parent checked them out in the front office.
Partial Day Absence (Medical Excuse):
A temporary absence from an appointment with a health care professional for the student or the student’s child will be excused if the student commences or returns to school on the same day of the appointment. To be eligible for a medical excuse:
- Student must attend at least one class on the day of the appointment.
- Turn in documentation from the health care facility to the attendance office within 3 school days of returning to school.
- If you have been absent for any reason, not including school-related, and for any portion** of the day you must bring a note to the Attendance Office (room 305) within 3 school days of returning to class.
***Wylie East High School may refuse to accept parent notes as excused absences if absences are excessive as determined by the school administration.
Students who are absent from school for the day, or from any class, without permission from a parent or school official will be considered truant and will be subject to disciplinary action. In addition, a student who is assigned to Thursday Night School and does not attend will be considered truant.
Students who leave campus and fail to be signed out or received proper authorization to leave campus will be considered truant. Absences that occur in conjunction with an unauthorized departure from campus will be considered as unexcused.
If a student accumulates unexcused absences that total three (3) days or parts days in a four (4) week period or ten (10) days or parts of days in a six (6) month period, the student and/or guardian may be prosecuted for violation of the Compulsory Attendance Law.
Returning to School
Upon returning to school after an absence, students must bring a note, signed by a parent or guardian, giving the reason for the absence, date(s) of the absence(s), and a telephone number for verification. A student who is absent and does not provide proper documentation within 72 hours upon his/her return to school will have the absence recorded as unexcused. When a student’s absence for personal illness exceeds five (5) consecutive days, the student shall present a statement from a doctor or health clinic verifying the illness or condition that caused the student’s extended absence from school. (District Local Code)
Pre-approved visits to colleges or universities are permitted for juniors and seniors and will be classified as excused absences under the following guidelines:
- Students are only allowed 2 college visit excused absences per school year.
- A student must complete a college visit form at least 48 hours in advance of the visit.
- The student’s Assistant Principal must sign the form.
- The form should be turned into the attendance office along with documentation from the college or university within 3 days of the student’s return to school.
- College visit request forms may be obtained from the Counseling, Assistant Principal, or Attendance Office.
For questions about the WISD Attendance policy, you may find additional information in the Student Handbook.